Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Where One Adventure Ends--Reflections

Well, my four month adventure in Europe is over. It must have been the fastest four months of my life...it feels like a dream. I've been back in the US for almost two weeks, but the reverse culture shock is killing me! When I first moved to England, I was able to slide right into the culture and the way of life so easily, there wasn't really an adjustment period for me. But coming back, I feel out of place. Like I have this big arrow above my head, pointing me out. I don't feel like I fade into the background anymore. Scary. That old cliche about always moving forward applies, I can't undo the four months I spent independently that made me a better, stronger, more out going person. So now I have to find a way to fit this new me inside Small Town, USA. And I'm afraid it isn't going to happen. I've always known I wasn't staying here, but now I feel like I'm suffocating. Still, I wouldn't trade a moment of those four months for anything, and I would go back in a heart beat.

One adventure has ended. So, naturally, another must begin. What in my future, you ask? More traveling (when I have the time and money), graduating for college in two years, continuing trying to break into the book publishing market, and getting into all sorts of shenanigans, and sorting out grad school. It might not be Europe...but its something. And it gives me time to daydream up a grand travel scheme. Who knows, maybe I'll do my masters abroad. It's all up in the air at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment